If litigation against Scientology is handled incorrectly, results can be devastating. Scientology litigation cannot be won simply through successful defense. The Cult Awareness Network, Inc.* won cases, but was litigated into bankruptcy.
FACTNet's legal strategy to win the current Scientology lawsuits is based on 17 years of successful experience in Scientology litigation worldwide. FACTNet founding director Lawrence Wollersheim has defeated Scientology in courts four times.
FACTNet's strategy is not only to win, but also:
- To strengthen the fair use of copyrights - for free speech, library, and archive purposes -- against unreasonable search and seizure precedents as they apply to the Internet.
- To expose the criminal fraud that Scientology has committed on the federal court system.
- To remove all protection on copyrights and trade secrets which were falsely filed by Scientology, illegally acquired, or misused to crush free speech and religious dissent.
- To use the lawsuit and the worldwide media attention the lawsuit has brought to FACTNet to allow large-scale, global education on the dangers of Scientology. Our target is to receive 100,000 hits a week on the FACTNet web site by the time the trial begins in January, 1999.
- So that Scientology and similar bullies will be thoroughly dissuaded from repeating Scientology's litigation tactics (a la CAN and FACTNet), to collect damages from Scientology and from each law firm that served as a Scientology agent for the raid or lawsuit.
- To collect sufficient funds in damages to endow FACTNet to perform its mission of assisting victims of cults and mind control, to reinsure itself, and to revive CAN.
FACTNet is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) archive dedicated to protecting freedom of mind by educating people about the dangers of cults and mind control, and by referring cult victims to specialists in cult-related assistance.
For more information on FACTNet, see About FACTNet at www.factnet.org/ about.html.
SUPPORT: If you wish to support FACTNet, contributions are welcome and are tax-deductible. See www.factnet.org/donation.htm or simply send a check made out to FACTNet to the above address. Thank you!
VOLUNTEERING: Volunteers are welcomed and much appreciated. See www.factnet.org/volunteer.htm.
SUBSCRIPTIONS: If you would like to subscribe to our free letters/FACTNews newsletter please go to http://lists.factnet.org/mailman/listinfo/factnet-news All newsletter materials are provided as the editorial opinion of FACTNet.
DISCLAIMER: Because the information provided is obtained from other locations, FACTNet, Inc. cannot verify the accuracy of the statements made by others but provide it and links to those sources as part of the vital dialogue concerning free speech and free thought. Those links were active when provided but URLs may change or the content may change. Users should make use of search engines to fully research the issue or to find active links.
Copyright (c) 1998 by FACTNet, Inc. letters/FACTNews is a free publication from FACTNet, Inc. Permission is granted to redistribute this newsletter providing it is distributed intact. Copies are kept at www.factnet.org/.
This editorial/opinion/news alert has been provided or distributed by FACTNet, Inc. (Fight Against Coercive Tactics Network.) Since 1993 we have been the largest online news and referral service as well as research archive for defending freedom of thought and mind from all forms of unethical influence tactics, mind control and mental coercion/torture used in destructive cults and fundamentalist groups. FACTNet is a tax deductible, IRS Approved 501(c)(3) non profit organization.
For breaking news, personal stories, recovery information, support groups, expert referrals, message boards, newsletters and books relating to destructive cults and fundamentalism, mind control, mental coercion and unethical psychological influence, please visit our web site at http://www.factnet.org If you would like to comment on this editorial/opinion/news or to share your personal experiences, go to one of our many various message boards at http://www.factnet.org/discus/ .
Re-distribution and re-posting of this document using proper net etiquette when doing so, is appreciated!
* E-mail: email@example.com
* For Free Subscriptions to our Newsletters and Editorials: http://lists.factnet.org/mailman/listinfo/factnet-news
* Donations: http://www.factnet.org/donation.htm
PO Box 1314
Ignacio, CO 81137-1314 USA