X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE ATHEIST 21 COMMANDMENTS

Well believers, theists, here are the 21 Atheist Commandments. Straight from the Atheist Bible. They've been Bible thumpin' us all this time. Pointing out scriptures they don't believe in, that they call voodoo and myths. And yet calling us hypocrites when we are not perfect in God's word. So here's our chance to do a little Atheist Bible thumpin' with them. Are they living perfectly up to the standards they preach? Their moral codes? Examine their Atheist Bible 21 Commandments, see how they measure up. Let's see how perfect they are. Please give us your comments. Thanks. http://www.factnet.org/discus/clipart/proud.gif

THE ATHEIST 21 COMMANDMENTS

The Affirmations of Humanism:

A Statement of Principles

1. We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.

2. We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, to seek to explain the world in supernatural terms, and to look outside nature for salvation.

3. We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.

4. We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.

5. We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state.

6. We cultivate the arts of negotiation and compromise as a means of resolving differences and achieving mutual understanding.

7. We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.

8. We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.

9. We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and strive to work together for the common good of humanity.

10. We want to protect and enhance the earth, to preserve it for future generations, and to avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.

11. We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.

12. We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.

13. We respect the right to privacy. Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.

14. We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. There are normative standards that we discover together. Moral principles are tested by their consequences.

15. We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.

16. We are engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.

17. We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.

18. We are skeptical of untest

18. We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas and seek new departures in our thinking.

19. We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.

20. We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.

21. We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.

Comment

I, personally, can think of on

I, personally, can think of one individual, frankenchrist, who has flagrantly violated many, many of the above commandments.

Comment

do unto others.....?

do unto others.....?

Comment

ive never read the athesist bi

ive never read the athesist bible. i know they do not believe in GOD (or say they dont) i feel however that they really do believe and know there is A GOD. else why are they fighting against HIM so much, if HE is not real then they are only shadow boxing so to speak.

Comment

COMANDMENTS?

We don't n

COMANDMENTS?

We don't need no stinking comandments!

Comment

I think that those are great c

I think that those are great commandments. Although I don't know anything about any atheist bible, and I have never belonged to an atheist organization, and never would, it seems like those are good, commonsensical ideas. Thank you for sharing those, Franklin.

Comment

arron, it hardly ever seems th

arron, it hardly ever seems that an atheist, at least on factnet, has anything positive to say about anything. About God or those who believe in Him. It seems like it's just a religion of negativity. It's almost always a negative attack or distortion of what we believe. While the above affirmations seem very altruistic, I don't believe that all of them try hard to follow them. Especially when it comes to tolerance of others beliefs. Just those who think the same as they do.

And frankenchrist, that was a very funny comment. That is one of my favorite movie lines. (Treasure of Sierra Madre). "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!" I use an altered form of that also frequently here on factnet and in my life. I just wonder if you have any kind of moral code that you try to follow in your life. You apparently reject the ones posted above.

Comment

No problem bluewater. They are

No problem bluewater. They are from the secular humanist thread. Yes they are well written. Leave out the anti religious parts and the political overtones and I have no problem with a lot of it.

Comment

When you can leave out the par

When you can leave out the part in your belief system that says, "The only way to the father is but through me", you have a deal. What are the political overtones that you have a problem with?

Comment

bluewater: "When you can l

bluewater: "When you can leave out the part in your belief system that says, "The only way to the father is but through me", you have a deal."

I can't change that. I didn't say that. Christ said that. I am not at liberty to change his words. I just believe them as the truth. You'll have to take up your objection about it with him. Don't worry, He will listen to you. He always listens. He will listen to you. He loves you too.

"What are the political overtones that you have a problem with?"

"We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state."

So is the Constitution. So is the laws of the land. That is obviously meant for other countries other than the United States.

"to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity"

Does that mean government run socialized medicine? Does that mean euthanasia?

"We are citizens of the universe"

Does that mean they are for one world, universal government, no borders?

There are many political hidden agendas that you have to squint to read between the lines for. Very leftist. Seems that secular humanism and leftist politics go hand in hand. These are my thoughts about it.

Comment

Oh brother. I doubt your sinc

Oh brother. I doubt your sincerity and realize you are just here for fun today. Enjoy yourself. The atheist 21 commandments blow your stupid bible 10 commandments out of the water. Thanks for the thread.

Comment

I don't think so. The Ten

I don't think so. The Ten Commandments are very specific. The atheist 21 are vague, loosey goosey, full of relativism. Even Jeffrey Dahmer or John W. Gacy would find no conviction in any of them. I'm always about sincerity and always about fun. Sincere fun is a blast!!!!!

Comment

[i]Straight from the Atheist B

Straight from the Atheist Bible.

<blink>Franklin, you are a bald-faced liar. </blink>

These are not commandments and they are not from something called the“Atheist Bible.” You got those from a secular humanist site, not from some Atheist Bible, which doesn&#39;t exist except as the name of a web-site, a web-site which does not contain the list you quoted. They can be found at http://www.secularhumanism.org/index...e=affirmations. A site maintained by the Council for Secular Humanism.

Are you really a Christian? Does the sect, cult, church, or whatever you want to call it that you attend sanction the lies and deceit that you practice? Why didn&#39;t you tell people where you really got those to begin with?

I&#39;m not surprised that you find lying and deceit so much fun franklin, I&#39;m not surprised at all.

Comment

Now Franklin can waltz back in

Now Franklin can waltz back in with a, &#34;Let&#39;s go diving&#34;, or a, &#34;Where do you surf, dude?&#39;, or a &#34;Captain needs some new underware for his next intergalactic voyage&#34;, in order to avoid the misrepresentation that he was so nailed on. It&#39;s all good, we know Franklin pretty well by now, and for some reason, I still like the kid. I will continue to pray for him.http://www.factnet.org/discus/clipart/biggrin.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X