Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Atheist Quotes Part I

Hi Gang,

I though I would start a thread of great things that have been said by athiests. Ever notice how atheists have more of a sense of humor than believers?

"If you want to get together in any exclusive situation and have people love you, fine- but to hang all this desperate sociology on the idea of The Cloud-Guy who has The Big Book, who knows if you've been bad or good- and CARES about any of it- to hang it all on that, folks, is the chimpanzee part of the brain working."

-Frank Zappa, American musician

&#34;Who wants to go to Heaven with all those <font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font> angels?&#34;

-Marilyn Manson, American rock musician

&#34;Faith is believing something you know ainít true.&#34;

&#34;If Christ were here now there is one thing he would not be -- a Christian.&#34;

&#34;It &#40;the Bible&#41; is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.&#34;

&#34;A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.&#34;

&#34;Our Bible reveals to us the character of our god with minute and remorseless exactness... It is perhaps the most damnatory biography that exists in print anywhere. It makes Nero an angel of light Ö by contrast.&#34;

&#34;I cannot see how a man of any large degree of humorous perception can ever be religious -- unless he purposely shut the eyes of his mind &amp; keep them shut by force.&#34;

&#34;If there is a God, he is a malign thug.&#34;

&#34;&#39;In God We Trust.&#39; I don&#39;t believe it would sound any better if it were true.&#34;
    &#34;It ain&#39;t the parts of the Bible that I can&#39;t understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.&#34;
    &#34;Man is a marvelous curiosity . . . he thinks he is the Creator&#39;s pet . . . he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn&#39;t it a quaint idea.&#34; [Letters from the Earth]
    Mr. Clemens was once asked whether he feared death. He said that he did not, in view of the fact that he had been dead for billions and billions of years before he was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.

- Samuel Clemens &#34;Mark Twain&#34;, American author and humorist &#40;1835-1910&#41;.

Feel free to add more!!

Uh, by the way, Samuel Clement

Uh, by the way, Samuel Clements was NOT an atheist! He was a believer! Just because he said some funny things about God does not make him an atheist.

All atheists do is cut and paste, cut and paste. Not an original thought in their heads.

Marilyn Manson, oh great role model. Aren&#39;t you just proud of him/her/it!

How about quoting

Vladimir Lenin

Karl Marx

Che Guevera

Pol Pot

Kim Il Sung

Josef Stalin

Fidel castro

Madlyn Hare....

Comment

Should I make a list of arseho

Should I make a list of arsehole xtians -- or do you say &#34;uncle&#34; before I begin?

Comment

Samuel Clemmens was an atheist

Samuel Clemmens was an atheist.

and the Pope is Catholic

Comment

&#34;Samuel Clemmens was an at

&#34;Samuel Clemmens was an atheist.&#34;

His name is Clements.

Where&#39;s your proof?

You believe he was. Where&#39;s your proof?

Comment

What? You think he was a jeek?

What? You think he was a jeek?

Letters From The Earth -- that was not written by a jeek.

Comment

Why do you hate Christians so

Why do you hate Christians so much?

Nobody wants to believe whatever the hell you do. You are full of hate.

Comment

It&#39;s -- Clemens

So we w

It&#39;s -- Clemens

So we were both wrong in the spelling on that one.

Comment

&#34;But at last in England, a

&#34;But at last in England, an illegitimate Christian rose against slavery. It is curious that when a Christian rises against a rooted wrong at all, he is usually an illegitimate Christian, member of some despised and <font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font> sect. There was a bitter struggle, but in the end the slave trade had to go -- and went. The Biblical authorization remained, but the practice changed.&#34;

Mark Twain

Comment

&#34;It is plain that there is

&#34;It is plain that there is one moral law for heaven and another for the earth. The pulpit assures us that wherever we see suffering and sorrow which we can relieve and do not do it, we sin, heavily. There was never yet a case of suffering or sorrow which God could not relieve. Does He sin, then? If He is the Source of Morals He does -- certainly nothing can be plainer than that, you will admit. Surely the Source of law cannot violate law and stand unsmirched; surely the judge upon the bench cannot forbid crime and then revel in it himself unreproached. Nevertheless we have this curious spectacle: daily the trained parrot in the pulpit gravely delivers himself of these ironies, which he has acquired at second-hand and adopted without examination, to a trained congregation which accepts them without examination, and neither the speaker nor the hearer laughs at himself. It does seem as if we ought to be humble when we are at a bench-show, and not put on airs of intellectual superiority there.&#34;

Mark Twain

Comment

&#34;There are no witches. The

&#34;There are no witches. The witch text remains; only the practice has changed. Hell fire is gone, but the text remains. Infant damnation is gone, but the text remains. More than two hundred death penalties are gone from the law books, but the texts that authorized them remain.

It is not well worthy of note that of all the multitude of texts through which man has driven his annihilating pen he has never once made the mistake of obliterating a good and useful one? It does certainly seem to suggest that if man continues in the direction of enlightenment, his religious practice may, in the end, attain some semblance of human decency.&#34;

Mark Twain

Comment

Gee Frank, I&#39;m sure you ge

Gee Frank, I&#39;m sure you get the idea -- lotsa stuff to suggest that Twain/Clemens was skeptical and cynical toward jeekism but I can&#39;t find anything to suggest that he was a xtian.

There are some things that suggest he had some beliefs in the supernatural but mostly I would say that dude was an atheist or agnostic but no jeek.

Comment

&#34;Philosophy is questions t

&#34;Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.&#34; - Author Unknown

&#34;Religion might be helpful in death, but education is helpful in life.&#34;

&#34;Give a man a fish, and you&#39;ll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he&#39;ll starve to death while praying for a fish.&#34; - Author Unknown

&#34;Imagine the ego of the human race, to consider themselves so grand, as to warrant a creator worthy of praise.&#34; - Robert Brunswick Jr.

&#34;It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him.&#34; - Arthur C. Clarke

&#34;I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious theories of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God.&#34; - Thomas Edison

&#34;I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect, had intended for us to forgo their use.&#34; - Galileo Galilei

Comment

Those quotes prove nothing. Cr

Those quotes prove nothing. Criticizing the church is not denying the existence of God. Wondering about God does not make one an unbeliever. Twain had a lot of tragedy in his life. Lost a son, a daughter and a wife. He was angry at God, but you have still not shown that he was an unbeliever. You are really stretching. Atheism discredits itself by quoting Twain as if he was one of them. Atheism lies. Atheism is a lie!

Comment

I&#39;m not trying to prove an

I&#39;m not trying to prove anything and there is no lie -- Twain was not a jeek, get over it.

I can quote anyone I want to.

Jeekism is a lie.

Comment

Working...
                              X