Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bible as the Word of God

Psalm 1

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night. he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper. The ungodly are not so, but are like the chaff which the wind drives away. Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Delight and meditate in His law.

How the title relates to Ps. 1 is something which by necessity to understanding should be elaborated. In merely attempting to unravel this puzzle, I realized the Biblical Books of the Law only comprise the Pentateuch, aka Torah,(Genesis-Deuteronomy) and the Psalm 1 doesn't even reference it.

Once Easeltine acknowledges this, it is only then any discussion, presuming this is what he wanted to do, can proceed as to whether his declaration has validity or not.

Comment

Hi Smyrna,

I was really just going to write the Book of Psalms, and make points for my own personal meditation. Your point that the writer of Psalms is specifically refering to the Torah is correct. For me, personally, these passages also refer to the entire Bible. We know that the Bible/Word of God is more than just words from a book, they are living.

"For the word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword. Piercing even to the dividing asunder, of the soul and spirit, of the joints and marrow, a discerner of the thoughts, and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12 (KJV - I hope I remembered the words correctly.

Comment

Psalm 2

Why do the nations rage, and the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD and against His Anointed, saying, "Let us break Their bonds in pieces and cast away Their cords from us." He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; The LORD shall hold them in derision. Then He shall speak to them in His wrath, and distress them in His deep displeasure: "Yet I have set My King on My holy hill of Zion." I shall declare the decree; The LORD has said to Me, 'You are My Son, 'Today I have begotten You. Ask of Me, and I will give You the nations for Your inheritance, and the ends of the earth for Your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron; you shall dash them to pieces like a potter's vessel.'" Now therefore, be wise, O kings; be instructed, you judges of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest He be angry, and you perish in the way, when His wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all those that put their trust in Him. (NKJV)

As a Christian, I believe the words refering to the Son should be capitalized. It is not totally out of Judaism to capitalize the words for the Son either. Rabbi Rashi, "Our sages (Ber. 7b) expounded the passage as referring to the King Messiah, but according to its apparent meaning, it is proper to interpret it as referring to David himself." So, I believe that these passages are referring both to Jesus, the Son of God, and to David at the same time. The Jewish sages would have agreed with that interpretation also. vs. 7-9, especially seem Messianic.

We need to take refuge in Him.

Comment

Psalm 3

A Psalm of David when he fled from Absalom his son.
          LORD, how they have increased who trouble me! Many are they who rise up against me.
          Many are they who say of me, "There is no help for him in God." Selah
          But You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
          I cried to the LORD with my voice, and He heard me from His hold hill. Selah
          I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustained me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of
          people who have set themselves against me all around.
          Arise, O LORD; Save me, O my God! For Your have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone;
          You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.
          Salvation belongs to the LORD. Your blessings is upon Your people. Selah

"An individual lament which contains elements of both petition and praise."

In verse 4 David talks about crying to the LORD with his voice, and the LORD hearing him when he does.
          When we need help we should cry out to the LORD.

Comment

Regarding Psalm 1 - There are many people that actually hate The Torah, Genesis - Deuteronomy. They despise The Law of the LORD.

A day may come where Scripture will not be available on the Internet. They will call the Law of God hatred against groups that disobey the Law. You will be arrested for Hate speech. They will stop Internet websites from displaying the Word of God, in the guise of breaking Copywrite Laws.

In California there are already Hate Crime laws against stating what The Torah calls a sin. Even a minister can be arrested by the activists for calling their sin a sin.

At the same time a Christian is told to shut up and listen to these Liberal rantings against God, and Christianity...but if you are Republican that is a real evil.

The LIBERALS over here are such hypocrites. They talk about freedoms, and don't allow anybody to smoke a cigarette anyplace, (no I never have smoke...it just gets me upset with their double standard). It is like they drive their Range Rovers, and at the same time are environmental extremists. They talk about renewable energy when 50% of the electricity comes from coal, and less than 5% comes from solar, wind, tidal...they are something else! Ok...Psalm 4 breathe...LOL.
            Last edited by easeltine; 01-22-2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Psalm 4

1 Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer.
              2 How long, O you sons of men, Will you turn my glory to shame? How long will you love worthlessness
              And seek falsehood? Selah
              3 But know that the LORD has set apart[a] for Himself him who is godly;
              The LORD will hear when I call to Him.
              4 Be angry, and do not sin.
              Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Selah
              5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.
              6 There are many who say,
              “Who will show us any good?” LORD, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us.
              7 You have put gladness in my heart, More than in the season that their grain and wine increased.
              8 I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

When we face problems - Be angry, and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Selah
              Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.

Comment

Easeltine, what was the purpose of this thread? To just quote the Bible? Or was it created to prove that the entire Bible is the inspired infallible word of God, totally and completely transcribed to men? I was just curious, that's all.

Comment

Personal meditation.

Comment

The beginning of Psalm 5 is one of my favorite parts of a Psalm. The old song of it by Maranatha on the Praise 1 album will always be a song I remember.

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my mediation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee , and will look up. For thour art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee. The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity. Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasinig: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man. But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple. Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy was straight before my face. For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue. Destory thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee. But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee. For thou, LORD wilt bless the righteouss; with labour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

Comment

Psalm 6

O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure. Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am weak: O LORD, heal me, for my bones are vexed. My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long? Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies sake. For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks? I am weary with my groaning; all the night I make my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears. Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies. Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping. The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer. Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.

David had many enemies. He gave the situaton to the LORD, and knew that the LORD would hear his prayers. The LORD will take care of the situation for those that cry out to Him.

Comment

Psalm 7 First part

Shiggaion of David, which he sang unto the LORD, concerning the words of Cush the Benjamite

O LORD my God, in thee do I put my trust: save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me: Lest he tear my soul like a lion, rending it in pieces, while there is none to deliver. O LORD my God, if I have done this; if there be iniquity in my hands; If I have rewarded evil unto him that was at peace with me; (yea, I have delivered him that without cause is mine enemy Let the enemy persecute my soul, and take it; yea, let him tread down my life upon the earth, and lay mine honour in the dust. Selah

We are not sure who Cush the Benjamite is. David has had many enemies. This may have been talking about Shimei that cursed David. David spared him, but I remember that Solomon later knocked him off.

We need to put our trust in God when our enemies persecute us.

Comment

Re: Psalm 7: I recently saw Bush's former speech writer on Bill Maher's show rejoicing over the killing of the Iranian nuclear scientist who was apparently targeted and killed by an Israeli drone, etc., and he quoted Psalm 7 as justification for this!!!

What a perversion of Scripture! Psalm 7 is not about a foreign "enemy" but a compatriot--the tribe of Benjamin was one of the three specifically "Jewish" tribes with Judah and Levi. Saul had essentially used bribes to win favor with other Benjamites; when he lost the kingdom to David, there were a lot of disgruntled members of the tribe of Benjamin. Shimei was another one who curse David with a terrible cursing and was not killed for it until after David had died. Romans 13.

What I would like to see are the problems of tautological constructs as part of believing the Bible is a textbook for everything from diet to advanced science. As soon as you say a given Scripture verse is the word of God as interpreted by you, all kinds of religious narcissism is then possible. We see this with many of the cults on this board, Scientology, the JWs, the SDAs, the Twelve Tribes, the list is almost endless.

They all believe God is on the side of them and against their "enemies". As soon as a construct like that is set up, you have a recipe for disaster. Jesus said pray for your "enemies", do good to them, turn the other cheek, suffer loss without expecting any benefit. Instead, the cults pray for the death or ruin of their enemies, curse them, say they are going to the lake of fire, etc.. How far they are from the kingdom of God! Even David prayed and fasted for his enemies.

Comment

Scout,

Another point about Shimei is that King David commented to Solomon about his wisdom in 1 Kings 2:9, and asked Solomon not to hold Shimei guiltless. Solomon did not immediately kill Shimei, rather he told Shimei to build himself a home in Jerusalem and to stay in it. Shimei disobeyed King Solomon after three years, and only then did King Solomon finally execute Shimei - 1 Kings 2:36-44.

The Scriptures where Jesus tells us to love our enemies is found in The Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5, and Luke 6.

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." Matthew 5:43-45

Comment

Psalm 7 Second Part

"Arise, O LORD, in your anger; rise up against the rage of mine enemies. Awake, my God; decree justice. Let the assembled people gather around you. Rule over them from on high; let the LORD judge the peoples. Judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, according to my integrity, O Most High. O righteous God who searches minds and hearts, bring to an end the violence of the wicked and make the righteous secure. My shield is God Most High, who saves the upright in heart. God is a righteous judge who expresses His wrath every day. If He does not relent, He will sharpen His sword; He will bend and string His bow. He has prepared His deadly weapons; He makes ready His flaming arrows. He who is pregnant with evil and conceives trouble gives birth to disillusionment. He who digs a hole and scoops it out will fall into the pit he has made. The trouble he causes recoils on himself; his violence comes down on his own head. I will give thanks to the LORD because of His righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High."

The wicked do not get off free, their evil catches up to them. Praise God for His righteousness.

Comment

Working...
                              X